Thursday, October 15, 2009

An Early Walk and Fire Works Wake Up



Debbie's car had to go in for some work so we have been dependent on the school bus/van to get us here and back. That means that my a.m. departure time has been changed from 6:15 to 5:45am. This morning I did my walk in real world not treadmill. There are parts of the school I had not seen until this morning. I made it all the way down to the fourth terrace today - no way am I ever going down to the fifth terrace which is way, way, way ,down a steep hill. All the playing fields are there and some people hope someday a swimming pool.

I found several new (well new to me) plants and or stages of plants I had not seen before. The papyrus is in bloom, and the small variety of birds of paradise have set seed pods which are fascinating. I feel a new lesson plan coming on "The Art of Nature". Hope I can find some magnifying glasses.

So, I am back from my little 15 min walk - which worked out the kink in my hip and leg nicely - and have picked up a cup of coffee from the teachers lounge. Real coffee. So strong it coats the sides of the cup and the spoon. And it has to be triple the caffeine of regular coffee. Ah, definitely only one cup a day for the sake of all my little children. Not too much else to report.

Oh how could I forget! l went to bed early last night about 7:00. At about 8:30 loud thumping popping sounds out my bedroom window - too close. Different from other popping (firearm sounds I have heard) I finally woke myself up enough to go see what was going on. Just as I opened the blinds a huge burst of twinkling light right over my back view of the mountain. Fire works were popping all over the city! Ah, Honduras has won the soccer game, one more step to the World Cup. I could hear the cheering sounds floating up from the valley.

The soccer team and the playoffs to the World Cup has been the one bright spot in this politically tense country. I find it a testimony to the spirit of these people that they can come together to cheer and celebrate in spite of the terrible political divide. So great to see the thumbs up and broad smiles. At nine o'clock last night a national holiday was declared for today. Debbie and the board decided to keep the school open. So it is anybody's guess who will show up.

It is 7:05 now and my cleaner has just arrived. The coffee was perking at 6:05 so somebody else was here. I have seen no staff and no students yet. But then staff is not required to be here until 7:30. I only have three classes today grades six, two and three. So it is a light day anyway. I have class "narratives" (descriptions of everything students have done for the first quarter that accompany the report cards) to complete and grades to do for all classes (all 8), the usual lesson plans etc. so I have plenty to do and hope that students stay home today. But I bet the little ones come...just to get them out from under parents feet. We shall see. I am so glad they had a win. They needed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment