Sunday, May 22, 2011

Starbuck's


I am enjoying my "Starbuck's" coffee in a mug decorated
by Victoria (grade 8) with Alexa.


Alexa, Lisandro and Maria Steffania at "Starbuck's"

Wednesday May 11, 2011
I am working on getting the exhibit down and the pieces selected for the embassy exhibit as well as the work to be included in the student literary magazine and awards night exhibit. We are working on both murals now…rainforest and coral reef so two of my classes are occupied until the end of the year which is not so far away. Today when my small AP class came in about 11:00 am I said that all I wanted to do was take them to Starbuck’s and sit on cozy chairs and drink coffee and sketch and talk.

Their faces lit up, “yeah!” “But, alas, no Starbuck’s” I said, “but we can make coffee, tea or hot chocolate, I’ll put on the kettle and we can sit on the benches out side” (under the portico in front of my room).

When I came outside to say the “coffee” was ready, they had rearranged the space, moved plants around, added the stool from the art room and even a “vase” (made from a grade three project) with some bougainvillea in it. As you can see from the picture they made quite a cozy space for us and there we sat and each sketched and sipped with only occasional comments here and there. We were quite content and I reflected on what an opportunity I have to teach in a school where this little “event” could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment