Monday, August 24, 2009

Clouds

Journal Entry Saturday August 22, 2009 6:40 am

The cloudscape is different everyday. I guess like sunrise and sunset there will never be two alike. This morning there is a wide variety deep dark gray like a giant caterpillar sitting on top, the length of the mountain. The sun is blocked by a light smoky gray cloud bank and straight over my head is a large swath of bright sky-blue with bright white fluffies.

The clouds make huge shadows on the mountainside so the green varies from deep dark blue greens to an almost chartreuse yellow green with every green shade in between. If I were to paint them I would start with hookers green my favorite water color green. The valley and the mountains are inspiring but almost too much for me to think about painting.

Today I am hoping to get some school work done, some writing and some meal planning. Debbie’s dinner last night was a bowl of popcorn followed by a snickers bar and a large bowl of Reese’s Peanut Butter and Chocolate cereal. I stuck with the popcorn and high fiber cereal. I don’t feel deprived but will shop for some better choices this weekend.

I think it will be a challenge to find a pool here and with transportation issues as well I have decided to try the treadmill downstairs in the little exercise room that is off of the parking garage below us. In addition to the treadmill it has a stationary bike and a “universal” with all configurations of weight work out “stuff”, some free weights and curiously a set of golf clubs. I will stick with the treadmill. The room has a large window across the wall facing the valley so I can walk with a view.

Sunday August 23
A good day Saturday. Got lots of school work done, laundry for the week and shopping with Debbie, Office Depot, Price Mart (ie Costco), a small bookstore where I bought another book in the Number One Ladies Detective Agency series, and lunch at the French bakery. I had a conch soup, a cheese panini, carrot cake and a latte. We sat outside and I saw my first Honduras hummingbird. Then we went to the grocery store. I finished the day with a bit of a read and as Emanuel used to say “The Good Nap”

When I woke up I found Debbie at the dining room table with a 1500 piece jigsaw puzzle spread out. I feel a bit like we are on vacation. I think it is all the balmy air and sun. Plus I have no garage to clean here and no weeds to pull. Maybe it is a vacation.


Later in the day Debbie surprised me with the sound track from Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat. We saw a production of it in Cape Town S.A. We sat and listened to the whole thing and then we watched Shirley Valentine.

I finished the day with a nice video chat with Johanna and Kevin. I am eager to be at school. It is great to feel that way again. It is a bit like teaching in 1968 when I started out.

No comments:

Post a Comment