Monday, August 24, 2009

Rainbows


Tuesday August 24, 2009


Last night Debbie and I had Sundowners on the balcony; Debbie with her glass of wine and me with my decaf coffee. We watched the rain move over the mountains toward the school. Cool late afternoon air, large birds circling above.

The school sits at the foot of a flat top almost iron shaped hill (mountain). We can just see the tops of the red tile roofs from where we sit on the opposite side of the valley. Behind “our” mountain and the school is a small valley with mountains rising up to the sky all around.

As we looked out over city we say a huge, broad, rainbow that slowly faded in to a brilliant full spectrum rainbow. It was about a quarter arc, the rest of the arc hiding in the dark cloud hanging over the mountain. It was hovering right over the school and what I now call “happy valley” behind the school.

I resisted the temptation to run for my camera, knowing that photographing rainbows is really difficult. So we just sat in awe as the colors grew in intensity.
It posed for us for almost five full minutes before it began to fade into the mist.

Then about ten minutes later it was back and it brought its twin…the other quarter of the arc hung over the neighboring hillside. Two lucky rainbows in one day, could I be any luckier? We soaked them up in silence until they slowly faded again into the mist.

I asked Debbie, if she saw rainbows here often, thinking that with the low hanging clouds and the frequent misting rains they must be frequent occurrences.
She said, “never, this is the first.” Then almost on cue a third rainbow faded in darker, brighter and more intense than the first two sightings. It too hung almost directly over the roofs of our school. The school was “standing in a rainbow”. A blessing or good omen if you prefer, I think this is going to be a good year.

Debbie and I sat quietly for a good while two Rainbow Gluttons full on a feast of color and magic.

(I did run and get my camera and snapped a picture just as it was fading. I am attaching it. Since it has been a long time since I have taken and sent pictures I am still working on remember the easiest way to move pictures into emails it may take some time to download. You may be able to see just a faint bit of color in the center of the picture. )



No comments:

Post a Comment