Sunday, August 23, 2009

From the Balcony

Sunday August 16, 2009 6:05 am


I am sitting on the balcony overlooking this city of hills and mountains. Clouds veil the tops. I am told we are near a cloud forest and I am eager to learn more about what that means. Church bells and traffic noises float up from the valley.
A bird calls and another answers – they have a short conversation interrupted by barking dogs. At the lowest part of the valley from my vantage point you can see a main thoroughfare. From one end to the other large signs stand above the buildings – Chili’s, Burger King, Pizza hut, Ruby Tuesday’s, Applebee’s, Wendy’s and more.

From the balcony I look down on homes – the half blue half white house (painting interrupted by what I wonder) is empty. Next door for trees are pruned into perfect cylinder forms. I look straight down into the swimming pool of the home just below us. This home is also empty and the pool green. Next to this house I can see the top of a bright red-orange flame tree (like the ones I saw in Africa) it is in this tree the calling bird is perched.

It is a cool morning after a night of rain with a fine display of thunder and lightning. My clouds are lifting a bit and I can almost see the tops of the mountains across the way. I can see the red tiled roofs of the school across the valley and at the foot of a flat topped hill.

I brought my binoculars out with me so I am able to get a closer look at things. I am able to get a better look at the huge statue of Jesus that stands high atop the mountain to my left that overlooks downtown, the old city. I could see it at night well lit, arms lowered but reaching out. Well, my coffee has gone cold and it is time to make a shopping list. The clouds have retreated up into the very blue sky leaving just a wisp atop the highest one.




No comments:

Post a Comment